I’ve tried making healthy salted caramel treats in the past, much to the dismay and dissapointment of my friends and family! They are either too salty, too sweet or miss that caramel flavour altogether.
It is quite tricky to get that magical caramel sweet-to-salty ratio correct. Especially if you’re like me and refuse (are too lazy) to use a measuring spoon to carefully calculate quantities. But when you do happen to stumble across that magic salted-Caramel formula in your kitchen on a Sunday afternoon, you grab a notepad and you write that shit down immediately!! And although caontradictory to my usually rebellious, lead-from-intuition approach in the kitchen, I highly recommend measuring quantities for this one!
I would also like to illuminate that while this recipe calls for a little extra salt than you’d ordinarily find in a healthy treat, rest assured you are giving your body a decent hit of trace minerals and other health benefits found in Himalayan Pink salt. This stuff is especially useful if you are training hard or recovering from illness. Read more here:
Makes about 20
What you need:
- 1 1/2 cups of your favourite protein powder (I use Raw)
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 7 medjool dates (soaked for 10 minutes in boiling water)
- 2 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 2 tablespoon maca powder
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup roasted cashew or any other nut (preferably activated)
- 2 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup Sesame seeds for rolling
What you do:
- All ingredients into food processor on high for 3-4 minutes until desired consistency for rolling.
- Roll in sesame seeds and refrigerate
You could also roll these in raw cacao nibs or cacao powder which would also be delicious!!